Hello, and welcome to What’s Cooking?, the weekly open thread where you get to share all of your brilliant thoughts, advice, recipes, and opinions on all things edible. I’ll be giving you topics to discuss among yourselves, but don’t feel beholden to them; this is your space to chat about food with like-minded enthusiasts, and you’re free to use it however you want (within reason).
Given that tomorrow is Pi Day, I thought we’d kick things off by chatting about pie in all of its glorious forms. As far as random food-centric holidays go, this is one of my favorites, because I enjoy both math and pastry. Some talking points to get you started:
- What’s your favorite type of pie? Are you all about the fruit filling? Or do you prefer a cream-based recipe?
- What is the best pastry-making tip you ever read/heard?
- Who makes the best pie you’ve ever had?
- Do you have a go-to store-bought option?
- What pie do you make if you’re showing off?
- In what cases should a graham cracker (or Oreo) crust be used over pastry?
So go forth, my friends, go forth and get to chatting about pie, or whatever foodie topics happen to be on your mind this week.